Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Ode to my husband on Valentine's Day

The sun is up, the rooster is crowing,
I wake up this morning with something I’m knowing.
I hear the dogs barking, they’re wanting out,
“Shut up you hounds” I angrily shout.


You lay there next to me, you’re mouth is ajar,
Your snoring is louder than grandpa’s old car.
With love and affection, I lean close to your ear,
Scream at the top of my lungs, “WAKE UP DEAR!”


You jump out of bed, your long johns a sagging,
I fall on the floor and roll around laughing!
“What the hell is your problem?” you madly grumble,
I try to stand up and recover from my tumble.


“It’s Valentines Day,” I say with a smile,
“Now sit yourself down and rest for awhile.
I wrote you a poem, so now you see,
You’ll have to sit a spell and listen to me.”


You throw the cat off the chair, sit there and wait,
I sit down in front of you on an old milk crate.
I fumble around for that wrinkled up sheet,
You wonder why I’m not rubbing your feet.


I set up straight and clear my throat,
I pause for a second and shoe away the goat.
I chew on my lip until I’m afraid it’ll bleed,
Take a deep breath and slowly start to read.


“I love you for the real man that you are,
And the way that you cuss when fixing my car.
I love that when we’ve been out drinkin’
You don’t care what others are thinkin’.”


“I love it when you go shoot a bug buck,
You bring the thing home on the hood of your truck.
You’ve been with me so long; I’m starting to think,
We’ll stick together like skunks stick to stink.”


“I love seeing that missing tooth when you smile,
And the way you pat my butt every once in awhile.
But most of all dear, I love your attitude,
When Mom comes to visit and you’re never rude!”


“This next thing is difficult for me to say of course,
I even love you more than I love my horse!
“But here’s one thing that I can never out rule,
I can’t say I love you more than my mule.”


Now, I’m done with my poem, I site there and wait,
The sun is up and it’s getting kind of late.
“Honey,” I say “I can see you start to tear,
While getting your Kleenex, can you fetch me a beer?”


By Jamie Cheslock

No comments: