Sunday, March 30, 2008

Rescue Anyone?

I have rescued a few horses here and there. This is something that I've always enjoyed doing but it does come with a price. There have been times that we have had to sneak in the middle of the night and "steal" the horse. There have been times when I've had to pretend to be "friends" with the person and play nice just to get the horse out of there and at the same time John has had to hold me back so I don't physically assault the person. I've been known to cry over starving, skin and bones horses while I make every effort I can to make them comfortable in their new environment. There was also that one time that I was rewarded with a healthy newborn foal from a mare that I rescued that was not supposed to live because she was in such bad shape. Rescuing horses is physically, mentally and financially exhausting but when it all comes together and works out it can be very rewarding.

Why did I use this as my subject for today? Because today, I visited with a couple that spent thousands of dollars, several 24 hour round trips to Idaho and sacrificed their pastures to rescue 48 starving appaloosa horses from an evil, selfish woman who didn't seem to mind seeing her horses literally starve and freeze to death while she sat in her nice warm house and fed her FAT FACE.

We were planning on taking one of the rescued horses home with use but decided not to because his poor legs were more crooked then a politician. We did leave them with 2 ton of hay as a donation to help them in their efforts with these horses. I admire these people, what they did was truly amazing.

However.....On our way home we stopped in on some people who had offered their horse to us for free just because they didn't want him anymore. He was well taken care of and we could tell that the people were doing everything they could to make sure that he had all of his shots and farrier work he needed. He had good food and shelter and two goats for companionship. But, this horse is FULL of himself. He was scared to death in his own environment and I didn't know what would happen when we got him home. I can't say I rescued this HORSE, but I can probably say that I rescued the people from the horse. HA!

So, here's a picture of the new guy on the block at the Cheslock Ranch.


No comments: