Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Another day in the beginning of spring.



Today's photo is Buster. I bought this horse a few years ago because he was by the same sire as my old show horse Blue. I was hoping at the time to get another nice horse to start training for the show circuit.

Buster had ended up at the local horse trader's place with his mother and another mare and colt because his owner had run into some financial difficulties. The trader knew that I like "ugly paints" and I had a yearning for another Telluride horse so he called me when these came in. I went out to take a look at what he had that same day. It was pouring down rain and pitch black dark when I got there. Buster was about 5 years old and had never been away from his mother nor had he ever been in a horse trailer other then to be hauled to the horse trader's place. I could barely see him but it looked like all of his legs were still connected and his dam looked to be pretty well built so I bought him on the spot for $600.00, loaded him into my trailer and took him home.

When I got him home he was so scared that he was shaking like a leaf. I put him in a stall with some hay and water and decided to just leave him alone and let him settle. There were several other horses in the barn to keep him company. By the next morning, he was all settled and looked pretty good.

After a couple weeks of just letting him hang out I had the vet out to do his teeth and within a couple days after that started riding him. He had never had anything done to him but led around with a halter so I took my time and he was really good. It wasn't but a few rides and I had him moving off my leg and going along the wall pretty good, then we moved out to the trails and he was AWSOME!

I continued with a lot of rail work and he did really well but I could tell he just wasn't show horse material. Much to John's delight, Buster became HIS horse. He really is an awsome horse, kind and gentle and easy to ride.

Now on to current events of the day.

I saw my first hummingbird today at my feeder. WAHOO! I love those things.

I also shaved GiGi's face today so she doesn't look like a bearded goat anymore. Who is GiGi you ask? My little mini mare that I got to keep Honey company.

No comments: