Monday, July 21, 2008

The Big Red Horse



Today's picture is of Auda, the big red horse. Here, she is exchanging some grooming with the little mini horse, Gigi.


With money being so tight and all this spare time on my hands I decided to start training horses for people. The first one that was brought in for training is a big red draft cross mare that was rescued from a PMU farm in Canada. This big girl is wasn't very brave and so was afraid of everything. You couldn't get anywhere near her back feet and she semi rear back and run off when you took off her halter. Her owner/rescuer spent a lot of time and money to save this horse and she has done an excellent job but she needed a little help, that's where I came in.


I've been spending a lot of time with this girl every day and have come a long way with her. I can now pick up all of her feet and she is calm about it, she doesn't care aboout the halter going on and off and she lets me touch her ears and scratch her everywhere. Every day when I ride her she comes further and further along. I've already gotten her to where she stops dead in her tracks if I just set my seat and say whoa, she moves off my legs on the forhand and haunches and backs with only voice commands.


Today for the first time I took her outside and rode her around out in the pasture for a bit. She was reluctant to move forward but with just a little goading and coaxing I got her to move out a bit and wander around. What a great session it was! Tomorrow I'm going to see if she'll let me work the gate from her back.


This last weekend, the horse's owner came out to watch me ride her for a bit and was very pleased with the progress I've made with her. That really makes me feel good. I hope to get more horses in for taining soon, this is really fun!

No comments: