Wednesday, April 30, 2008

They’re baaaack!




Those danged elk are hanging around in our hay fields every day now and boy does that ever chap my khakis! The bulls look so cute now because their horns are starting to grow and they all have fuzzy nubs on the tops on their heads.

Yesterday was a big day at our ranch. The vet came out to castrate poor Casanova, the mustang stallion. Castrating aged horses is tricky and this one looked like it was going to be difficult. We had a hard time getting him down and he got up before we were finished and knocked the crusher off. I had to keep a close eye on him throughout the day because we were really afraid he would bleed. He did well and this morning was as happy and alert as can be expected. I was hoping to be able to deliver him to his new home this weekend but the vet recommended that I keep him at my place for at least two weeks to make sure that he is healed properly. The adopting family was okay with that as it will give them some more time to build some additional fences.

The person who is adopting the Arabian also came out to meet with the vet and talk about the rehabilitation program for him. They decided to name him Sultan and are really excited to get him home. I will be delivering him on Saturday.

I need to try to find a home for the filly. I have some contacts from when I had them advertised on Craigslist who are on a waiting list in case anything fell through so that will come in handy!

No comments: